This chapter contains the engineering properties and related characteristics of titanium and titanium alloys used in aircraft and missile structural applications.
Titanium is a relatively lightweight, corrosion-resistant structural material that can be strengthened greatly through alloying and, in some of its alloys, by heat treatment. Among its advantages for specific applications are:
- good strength-to-weight ratio
- low density
- low coefficient of thermal expansion
- good corrosion resistance
- good oxidation resistance at intermediate temperatures
- good toughness and
- low heat-treating temperature during hardening.
- Number of Pages:
- File Size:
- 1 file , 20 MB